SEL Cheese Souffle
SEL Cheese Souffle
Erowid Product Development Department Variant: epsilon Erowid Cheese Souffel
Servings: 6 Recommendations: Should be served with salad as a major accompaniment, with a strong vinegary or citrusy dressing, which goes well with this recipe. See SEL Salad Dressing.
Loaf of sourdough bread (8 large slices) 10-16 oz sharp cheddar 2.5 cups milk 3 eggs 1 tsp dry mustard 1 tsp salt Pinch of sweet (very mild) red chile powder
2017 November Test: Added cooked wild rice to 1/5th of the double recipe and that part was good.
8 slices sourdough bread, buttered and cubed.
Alternate layers of bread and grated cheese.
Mix milk, beaten eggs, mustard, salt. Place in refrigerator overnight (or 8 hours). Dust with red chile powder.
Bake uncovered 350F with pan of water for humidity, 60 minutes.
- Note that the larger the surface area, the more yummy, yummy crust there is.
Crunchier Variant Toast bread before buttering, reduces fluffiness of souffle.
Unsuffle Variant : Erowid Cheese Souffel
For snacky squares for parties, much less souffle-y but better for finger food.
- Toast bread before buttering
- Toss bread with egg & milk mixture, let sit in bowl 15 minutes, toss again, let sit 15-60 minutes.
- Lay in a single layer on a walled cookie sheet or brownie pan, 1-2.5" thick.
- 2017 barncliff: 350 was too low, try 425F fo 60minutes
- Bake 60 minutes at 350, no pan of water.
- Cool 30 minutes, cut into squares.
- Reheat later at party if necessary in oven or toaster.
2017: Nov 24: 00:00 60 m at 350 in this oven browned it but it was undercooked. upping temp on this oven and adding 30 minutes.
Half Cooked For Transport Test
December 2014, attempted to do a half cook for transport to another location the next day. Cooked for 20 minutes at 350 with water bath tray. Wants another 20 at 350 to finish and brown, I think. Pre-cook worked fine, except the oven needed to be totally hot and really a full 25-30 minutes would be necessary to get it to the right fully melty temperature.